Puerto Vallarta or PV to those in the know, is a true gay-paradise. It has stunning beaches and a charming romantic old town. Restaurants serve authentic Mexican and International cuisine with style. Add to this a throbbing vibrant gay bar scene and its no wonder Puerto Vallarta is North America’s number-one gay beach destination.
Where is the gay area in Puerto Vallarta?
If you are coming to visit Puerto Vallarta then you will want to stay in the Romantic Zone or the old town. This is where you will find most of the gay bars and clubs. The area is compact and easy to navigate. The cobblestone streets can be quite steep as the area is built into the mountainside. Taxi’s are cheap and plentiful. Don’t worry about how short the journey is, Taxis will take you where you want to go.
Most of the gay bars are located along the main strip of Lazaro Cardenas. This is now the busiest street for gay nightlife. The scene has something for everyone, from the busy outdoor terrace at Mr Flamingos to the every popular La Noche with their sexy Gogos.
Anonimo, a video bar which has three floors and great views of the street scene has nightly drink specials including the 50-peso Cosmos on Sunday.
Looking for a romantic sunset ending to you day? Check out the views at The Pinnacle Rooftop Bar, The Signature Lounge and The Top Skybar.
Where is the gay beach?
Playa Los Muertos is Puerto Vallarta’s gay beach. It is busy from October until May and is located close to the Romantic Zone, just a short walk from the area’s hotels and bars.
The beach clubs, Mantamar, Sapphire, Green Chairs (Ritmos)and Blue Chairs all have something unique to offer. Visit all 4 and find one that suits your individual taste.
- Mantamar Beach Club is part of the Almar Gay Hotel with an infinity pool, restaurant, beach club and cabanas.
- Blue Chairs is the original gay beach club in Puerto Vallarta on Los Muertos gay beach. Nearby Green Chairs has become more popular over the past few years.
- Sapphire Beach Club offers delicious food and a great bar and cocktail service, sun beds and umbrellas.
For more, read our Puerto Vallarta Beach Guide.
Where to eat?
Beach side breakfast is a must at La Palapa. Enjoy amazing views while you dine on the sandy shore of Puerto Vallarta.
Coffee lovers should check out Dees Coffee near the pier for their caffeine and wi-fi fix!
Treat yourself at least once to dinner at Cafe Des Artistes or head to the hills and visit Casa Kimberly, the former home of Liz Taylor and dine at La Iguana.
No trip to Puerto Vallarta would be complete without a visit to The Swedes, a delightful gay-owned restaurant with an ever-changing menu and charming terrace bar.
Those seeking a truly Mexican experience should try Vallarta Food Tour’s intimate three-hour tour introducing visitors to the unique flavours and history behind tacos, chocolate, mole sauces, tortillas and more. If you prefer a liquid diet, Vallarta Food Tours also offers an exciting Mex-ology tour that features local artisanal mezcal, tequila, craft brews, and Mexican-inspired cocktails.
What to do?
PV has a very well developed gay scene and tourism is the number one business in the region. Gay tours are very popular and book-up in advance.
- The Diana Boat Tour and the PVR Bar Hopping Night tours are a great way to experience what’s on offer and to meet fellow travelers.
- Whale Watching on Banderas Bay is a unique experience and there are plenty of beach side activities to keep you occupied, from paddle boarding to Para Jet Sailing!
- Further inland you will find Puerto Vallarta’s Botanical Gardens. Don’t miss the Orchid conservatory and the Vanilla Plantation Walks. Finally, cool-off with a dip in the Rio Sendero and dine at the beautiful rooftop restaurant.
Where to Stay in Puerto Vallarta?
Puerto Vallarta has no shortage of gay operated and gay-friendly hotels. Most of these hotels are located in the Romantic Zone. Those seeking a more resort-style hotel should check out hotels in the Hotel Zone. The Hard Rock Hotel is consistently rated as one of the most LGBT friendly in Mexico. The Marriott comes in at a close second!
- Casa Capula has glittering ocean views, luxury accommodation and fun pool parties during the busy season. It is one of the city’s original gay hotels.
- Pianta PV is an all male boutique hotel with a clothing optional and hot-tub, what’s not to love?
- Almar Resorts is home to the Mantamar beach club, home to some of the hippest gay circuit parties. Rooms are large and the hotel books out fast, especially during the big gay events and high season.
Puerto Vallarta has some stunning apartments available via AirBnB especially in the gay friendly Romantic Zone.
Vacation like a rock star at the W601 D’Terrace, located above Los Muertos Beach at the Heart of the Romantic Zone in the old town of Puerto Vallarta, within walking distance to everything.
Puerto Vallarta’s top Gay Events
Major gay events include the Thanksgiving and New Years parties hosted by the big circuit parties. Other events include the highly anticipated Beef Dip in January and Puerto Vallarta Pride which takes place annually in May. Mainstream events such as Carnival and the Day Of the Dead are also popular with both gay and straight visitors.
When to Visit Puerto Vallarta?
When to visit depends on how busy you like your destination. Those seeking a more relaxed vibe should consider visiting between April and June. The weather is still quite pleasant and there are fewer visitors. Puerto Vallarta Gay Pride takes place in May.
High season is during the northern hemisphere winter (December-February). Most of the circuit events and pool parties take place during this period.